During past few years, my research has focused on: 1) orientation and position estimation of spacecraft, 2) attitude sensor data processing, 3) satellite constellations, and 4) various topics in linear algebra and numerical algorithms (function inversion, functional interpolation, differential equations, rotation in n-dimensional spaces, etc.).
- Editor-in-Chief, Functional Interpolation section (Mathematics). WoS impact factor is 1.747 (Q1 and top 10%). Editorial board [2/2021-]
- Guest-Editor, Sensors: Special Issue “Attitude Estimation Based on Data Processing of Sensors,” WoC Impact factor is 3.735 [02/2021-01-2022]
- Attitude and position determination systems
- Satellite constellations design
- Sensor data processing
- Algorithms and linear algebra
- Theory of Functional Connections [papers] – [code (Python)]
- Jiwon Bae, MS – Starting Fall 2021.
- Dr. Joshua Critchley-Marrow, Research scholar, (1/2022 – 1/2023).
2021 Journal Publications
- Mortari, D. and Gardner, A. “Analytic Statistics of two Non-orthogonal Inclinometers,” Sensor, 2021, Under review.
- Schiassi, E. De Florio, M., D’Ambrosio, A., Mortari, D., and Furfaro, R. “Physics-Informed Neural Networks and Functional Interpolation for Data-Driven Parameters Discovery of Epidemiological Compartmental Models,” Functional Interpolation (Mathematics), 2021, Under review.
- D’Ambrosio, A., Clocchiatti, A., and Mortari, D. “n-Impulse Periodic Close Encounters Orbit,” The Journal of Astronautical Sciences, 2021, Under review.
- Kaki, S., Akella, M.R., and Mortari, D. “Angular Velocity and Covariance Estimates for Rigid Bodies in Near Pure-Spin,” The Journal of Astronautical Sciences, 2021, Under review.
- Furfaro, R., D’Ambrosio, A., Schiassi, E., Johnston, H., Curti, F., and Mortari, D. “Minimum Time-Energy Optimal Landing on Planetary Bodies via Theory of Functional Connections,” ACTA Astronautica, 2021. Under review.
- Mai, T. and Mortari, D. “Theory of Functional Connections Applied to Nonlinear Programming under Equality Constraints,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 2021, Under review.
- Yassopoulos, C., Leake, C., Reddy, J.N., and Mortari, D. “Analysis of Timoshenko Beam Problems using the Theory of Functional Connections,” Special Issue “Computational Approaches to Mechanical Response Analysis of Structures at Diverse Scales,”‘ Journal Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 2021, In print.
- Schiassi, E., Furfaro, R., Leake, C., De Florio, M., Johnston, H., and Mortari, D. “Extreme Theory of Functional Connections: A Fast Physics-Informed Neural Network Method for solving Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations,” Neurocomputing, Vol. 457, October 2021, Pages 334-356
- Johnston, H., Lo, W.M., and Mortari, D. “A Functional Interpolation Approach to Compute Periodic Orbits in the Circular Restricted Three-Body Problem”, Functional Interpolation (Mathematics), 2021, 9(11):1210. https://doi.org/10.3390/math9111210.
- Johnston, H. and Mortari, D. “Least-squares Solutions of Boundary-Value Problems in Hybrid Systems,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 393, (2021) 113524.
- de Almeida, A., Johnston, H., Leake, C., and Mortari, D. “Fast 2-impulse non-Keplerian orbit-transfer using the Theory of Functional Connections,” The European Physical Journal Plus, 2021, Vol. 136, No. 2, pp. 223.
- Drozd, K., Furfaro, R., Schiassi, E., Johnston, H., and Mortari, D. “Energy-Optimal Trajectory Problems in Relative Motion Solved via Theory of Functional Connections,” ACTA Astronautica. Vol. 182, May 2021, pp. 361-382.
- Mortari, D. and Furfaro, R. “Univariate Theory of Functional Connections Applied to Component Constraints,” Mathematical and Computational Applications,” 2021, 26(1), 9.
- Johnston, H., Leake, C., de Almeida, M.M., and Mortari, D. “Recursive Star-Identification Algorithm using an Adaptive SVD-based Angular Velocity Estimator,” AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 2021. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.A34869.